Romantic dinners are a norm for Valentine’s Day. Deviate from the ordinary and celebrate your love in style, with a romantic brunch for two.
Brunch is a personal favorite of mine, it somehow prolongs breakfast and lets in a few elements of lunch. It is the perfect combination of breakfast and lunch in one.
Spoil yourself and your loved one this Valentine's Day with some hearty, tasty and scrumptious food. This romantic brunch is super easy to prepare, a money saver and is healthy.
Let's start off with something savoury, pancakes are a staple at most brunches I have been invited to. I wanted to change it up slightly by making savoury pancakes that are gluten-free, vegan friendly and healthy.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 cup/ 250ml chickpea flour
½ t/ 2.5ml baking powder
1 cup/ 250ml cold water
½ medium onion (finely chopped)
2T/ 30ml finely chopped chives or green onion
½ green pepper
1t/5ml garlic powder
1t/5ml dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup/ 125ml frozen peas (thawed)
2T/ 30ml oil (for frying)
1. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour and baking powder. Pour in water little at a time, use a whisk to mix the dry ingredients and water. The mixture should resemble a thick cream. (You might need less water than recommended.)
2. To the batter add in the remaining ingredients except the oil and mix well.
3. Heat a non-stick pan with a little oil, drop in spoonfuls of the batter. Turn the pancakes over once little bubbles start to form on the surface. Fry the other side for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Continue this process until the pancake batter is finished.
4. Serve the pancakes with a tomato relish and garnish with finely chopped chives or green onion.
For something a little sweet, blueberry banana bread. If you are starting off your healthy eating journey and you are not a huge fan of alternative flours. This recipe is what you have been looking for. It's a combination of oat flour and regular all purpose flour. This is a great way of incorporating healthy ingredients into your baking. Once you start getting use to the taste and slight density of alternative flours you will use less all purpose flour and more alternative flours.
Blueberry banana bread
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
½ cup/ 125ml coconut oil (melted)
½ cup/125ml coconut sugar or brown sugar
1t/ 5ml vanilla essence
3 large eggs
3 large bananas
3T/45ml dairy or non-dairy milk
1 cup/ 250ml cake flour
1 cup/ 250ml oats flour
2t/ 10ml baking powder
1t/ 5ml cinnamon powder
Pinch of salt
Pinch of bicarbonate of soda
½ cup/ 125ml frozen blueberries
1 Grease a small loaf pan and line the bottom with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a blender combine all the wet ingredients including sugar, excluding the blueberries. Blend until smooth and creamy.
3. In a mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Stir in blueberries, pour batter into prepared loaf pan, and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Allow the bread to cool before serving.
Finally, to end off this romantic brunch, something to drink. I'd like to call this drink my love potion because it is a combination of beetroot juice and fresh strawberries. It has a beautiful ruby red colour that will just make your heart melt.
Love Potion (Beetroot and Strawberry Juice)
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
1 cup/ 250ml beetroot juice
1 cup/ 250ml strawberries
8 large ice cubes
1. In a blender combine all the ingredients. Blend until strawberries have blended up.
2. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the juice, and pour into glasses.
3. Garnish with some fresh mint.