To complete this Father's Day dinner, I have made my dad's favourite dessert. Apple pie! However, I have made my apple pie into squares for a fun twist on a classic dessert.
Made with a biscuit crust, homemade applesauce filling and a crunch topping. These apple pie squares are just as delicious as a classic apple pie. Serve these sweet and spicy apple pie squares with warm custard, yoghurt or smooth and creamy ice cream.
One bite of this dessert and you will wonder why you did not make it sooner.
Apple Pie Squares
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25-35 minutes
90g soft vegan butter
¾ cup/ 180ml coconut sugar or brown sugar
1 flax egg or 1 large egg
1t/ 5ml vanilla essence
2 cups/ 500ml whole wheat flour
1t/ 5ml baking powder
1t/ 5ml ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
½ cup/ 125ml small cup oats
½ cup/ 125ml desiccated coconut
2-4T/ 30ml-60ml soya milk or milk of choice
¾ cup/ 180ml applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line medium square baking pan.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla beat until well incorporated.
3. Mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, oats and coconut. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Using your hand mix well, slowly pour in milk until a dough is formed. (You might need more or less milk depending on the type of butter you use.)
4. Refrigerate 1/3 of the dough and press 2/3 of the dough into the prepared baking pan. Spread the apple sauce over the dough and grate the refrigerated dough over the applesauce.
5. Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool before cutting into squares and serve with custard, yoghurt or ice cream.
NUTRITION Serving per Square
calories 154 | cabs 23.6g | fat 5.9g | protein 3.3g