This healthy banana granola will make the whole house smell of fresh baked banana bread, without even switching on your oven. This granola tastes incredible, it is low in fat and is vegan. The simplest and perfect way to use up any ripe bananas.
This recipe combines all my favourite flavours that can be found in a good banana bread. This has definitely become one of my favourite recipes. It is super easy to prepare, you don't even need an oven. All you need are two microwaveable plates and of course a microwave. This whole recipe can be done in under 30 minutes and is great for meal prep.
Last week I posted my guide on healthy eating while travelling. In the post I spoke about recipes for success for eating healthy while traveling. This granola recipe is perfect for travelling you can make the granola the night before, pack it into an airtight container and bring it along with you in the car, bus or airplane. Or you can make it once you arrive at your destination if your destination has a kitchen with a microwave.
You can have this granola in the morning for breakfast with yoghurt or milk. I personally enjoy serving it with some soya milk. You can even have this granola as a snack or as a topping for a smoothie bowl. It's so versatile and so yummy.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
1 large banana
½ cup/ 125ml bran wheat or oats wheat
1 cup/ 250ml rolled oats
1 T/ 15ml canola oil or coconut oil
2T/ honey or any liquid sweetener
2t/ 10ml vanilla essence
1t/ 5ml cinnamon powder
A pinch of salt
2T/ 30ml chia seeds
½ cup/ 125ml mixed dried fruit
1. Grease 2 large microwavable plates and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl mash banana until smooth as possible. Add in the rest of the ingredients, except the dried fruit and mix well.
3. Divide the mixture between the two prepared plates, flatten into one signal layer.
4. One at a time microwave the granola in 2 minute sessions for 6 minutes. Mix the granola after each session.
5. Add in dried fruit. Allow the granola to completely cool so it can crisp up.
6. Enjoy the granola with milk, yoghurt or as a snack.