Treat your father this father's day with a delicious and healthy black bean burger. This recipe is vegan friendly and gluten free, so it will serve a variety of dietary requirements.
Father's day is next week Sunday (June 16), so why not let dad light the braai while you make this yummy burgers for him. This is an amazing way to spend time with dad, whilst letting him know how special he is to you.
Father's day is all about the men that play a fatherly role in our lives. When I think of "man food", I think of simple, meaty and juicy flavours. This black bean burger ticks all the boxes of what "man food" should be. I know what you are thinking... this burger is not made out of meat. Although this burger has no meat, it has a meaty texture and flavour to it. Give it a try and you will know what I am talking about😉.
BLACK BEAN BURGER
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 flax egg (1T ground flaxseeds & 3T water) or 1 egg
½ Brown onion
1 garlic clove
1 tin black beans
1 cup/ 250ml sorghum or brown rice (cooked)
1t/ 5ml paprika
1t/ 5ml cayenne pepper
1t/ 5ml fresh thyme, chopped finely
2 T/ 30ml oats flour or corn flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Fry onion and garlic in a small pan with a few teaspoons of water until soft, set aside to cool.
2. Mash beans with a masher or a hand blender, to your desired consistencies. To the mashed beans add sorghum, paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, flour, salt, pepper, flax egg and onion mixture.
3. Mix all the ingredients to form a firm mixture, divide the mixture in to 4 burger patties.
4. Place the burger patties into the fridge for an hour or overnight. This burger are also great to freeze and fry once ready to eat. Freeze up to 3 months.
5. Fry the burger in a little oil, for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown on each side.
6. Serve the burgers on bun of choice with some sliced tomatoes, lettuce and caramelized onion.
Best enjoyed with…
Serve the burgers with a side salad or sweet potato chips.
To make the caramelized onion, thinly slice 1 large onion, place onion in a medium pan with a few tablespoons of water. Fry the onion on a low heat until water evaporates and the onion is golden brown.