Light, fluffy and buttery scones that are healthy and can also be made vegan. Serve them warm with butter and jam or cold with a cup of tea, perfect for anytime of the day.
I like to call these my health conscious scones. You would never guess that they were healthy and vegan. They are super delicious and easy to make. They make for a perfect snack, a quick breakfast and yummy dessert. Take 30 minutes out of your day to make these scones, I promise you will not regret it!
BROWN BREAD SCONES
preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
2 cups/500ml brown bread flour
1T/ 15ml baking powder
Pinch of salt
2T/ 30ml brown sugar
150g vegan butter, butter or margarine
1 egg or flax egg
150ml dairy or non-dairy milk
1T/ 15ml lemon juice
1t/ 5ml vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease a baking tray.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and the bran from the brown bread flour into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
3. Using your fingertips, rub butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
4. Mix together egg, milk, lemon juice and vanilla in a separate bowl.
5. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a soft dough and comes together in a ball.
6. Roll out the dough to 2 cm thickness, on a floured surface. Using a cookie cutter, cut into circles, gather up any trimmings, re-roll them and cut into scones. Repeat this until the dough is finished.
7. Place the scones on a baking tray, spaces or tight. Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden brown.
8. Transfer the scones to a cooling rack. (Serve them warm or cold). Cut them in half and spread with butter and jam.
Why not try…
For fruity scones, stir in 50g of dried fruit of choice, in step 3 before you add in the wet ingredients.
NUTRITION per Scone
calories 141 | cabs 13.7g | fat 8.9g | protein 2.9g