A healthy chocolate cake that taste so incredibly decadent, that you will never believe it is healthy.
The main ingredient in this healthy chocolate cake is chickpeas. Yes I said it, chickpeas, I promise you will not be able to taste the chickpeas in the cake.
This secret ingredient makes the cake super moist and rich. No one,not even my family could tell that the cake is made out of chickpeas instead of flour. This is because it tastes that good. The best part of this cake besides it tasting so amazing is that it is quick and easy to make.
This chocolate cake definitely holds its own against high calorie chocolate cakes, I would even go as far as saying that it might even be better. If you don't believe me why don't you give it a try?
Chocolate chickpea cake
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Makes: 1 cake or serves 8-10
1x400g can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
2 eggs (separated)
¼ cup/ 60ml milk
¼ cup/ 60ml oil
1t/ 5ml vanilla essence
¼ cup/ 60ml cocoa powder
1t/ 5ml granulated coffee
2T/30ml corn flour
¼ cup/ 60ml brown sugar or coconut sugar
1t/ 5ml baking powder
¼ t/ 1.25ml bicarbonate soda
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a small cake tin and set aside to be used later.
2. Combine chickpea, egg yolk, vanilla, oil and milk in a blender, blend until smooth and creamy.
3. In a mixing bowl combine the remaining ingredients and mix together.
4. Stir in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk egg whites until there is stiff peaks and then fold into the chocolate batter. Transfer the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
5. Allow the cake to slightly cool before removing from the cake tin. Place the cake on a cooling rack to cool completely before serving.
Why not try…
For a quick icing for the cake melt 80g of dark chocolate with 2 T/ 30ml of milk. Pour the chocolate mixture over the cake and allow the icing to set. Before serving.
NUTRITION per slice of cake
calories 193 | cabs 19.7g | fat 10.8g | protein 6.0g