This slow-raise-homemade cinnamon-raisin pull apart bread is absolutely fabulous. It is simple to make, requires very little kneading and is filled with wonderful cinnamon flavours. Not forgetting those juicy, luscious and plump raisins that add texture to the bread and a touch of sweetness.
Homemade bread takes a bit of time and patience with the raising and baking, but trust me it is all worth it. With this recipe most of the work happens overnight when the bread is raising. The next day all you have to do is fill your bread, allow it to raise again and bake it, and just like that you have freshly baked homemade bread.
Cinnamon raisin bread
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
Serves: 8 bun or 1 medium loaf
3 cups whole wheat or brown bread flour
¼ t/ 1.25.l active dry yeast
1t/ 5ml salt
1T/ 15ml cinnamon powder
¾ cups/ 180ml raisins or any dried fruit
1 cup/ 250ml lukewarm rice milk or milk of choice
½ cup/ 125ml lukewarm water
½ cup/ 125ml apple sauce
3T/45ml coconut sugar or brown sugar
1. In a large mixing bowl whisk together all the dry bread ingredients. Pour in water and milk. Mix together until the dough forms a ball. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and leave in the oven for 15 hours for the dough to raise.
2. After 15 hours the dough will double in size. Scrape the dough out of the bowl and onto a floured surface. Knead the dough for 1-2 minutes.
3. Roll out the dough into a square as thin as possible. Spread apple sauce and sprinkle over the sugar. Carefully roll the dough into a long log. Divide the long log into 8 equal pieces.
4. Lightly grease a small baking pan. Place the cut buns into the prepared baking pan. Cover with cling wrap and allow to rise for another 2-3 hours until the buns double in size.
5. Bake in the oven at 200°C for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown. Let the bread cool slightly before enjoying.
This is a slow rising bread, so best to allow it to raise overnight in a warm place like an oven.
NUTRITION per Cinnamon raisin bun
calories 262 | cabs 55.1g | fat 1.6g | protein 7.7g