Light, fluffy and filled with heaps of flavour. These corn pancakes will turn breakfast upside down. Throw out any pre-existing notions you had about breakfast because it is about to get spicy.
I have to admit i'm not the biggest fan of savoury breakfasts… BUT, these pancakes have converted me. Having roots in Kwa-Zulu Natal, spice is a huge part of my family's cooking. I don’t know why I never thought of putting the two together (savoury breakfast and spice), I guess better late than never.
These pancakes are truly addictive and super easy to make. Adjust the heat/spice level to your liking or your family's liking. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!
Corn pancakes with spicy pineapple and tomato jam
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Spicy pineapple and tomato jam
2t/ 10ml oil
1 small onion (finely chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 green chili (deseeded and finely chopped)
1t/ 10ml ginger powder
Salt to taste
2T/ 30ml sweetener of choice
2 jam tomatoes (finely chopped)
1 queen pineapple (finely chopped)
1T/ 15ml white vinegar
1 cup/ 250ml whole wheat self-rising flour
½ t/ 2.5ml bicarbonate soda
¼ t/ 1ml smoked paprika
1T/15ml chopped parsley
2T/ 30ml chopped green onions
1T/ 15ml nutritional yeast (optional)
½ cup/ 125ml unsweetened rice milk or milk of choice
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 tin cream corn
Salt and pepper to taste
1. To make the jam heat oil in a medium saucepan, add in onion, chili and garlic. Fry until garlic is fragrant and onion is translucent.
2. Add in the remaining ingredients, cook uncovered over a low heat for 30 minutes or until the jam thickens.
3. To make the pancakes combine flour, bicarbonate soda, paprika, parsley, onion as while as nutritional yeast. To the dry ingredients add in milk, eggs, corn and salt and pepper.
4. Gradually whisk the ingredients together until a smooth batter is formed.
5. Heat a non- stick pan with a few drops of oil. Drop in spoonfuls of the pancake batter.
6. Cover the pan with a lid and allow the pancakes to cook. Turn the pancakes over once little bubbles form on the surface and they are set on top. Fry the other side until golden brown.
7. Serve the pancakes with the prepared jam and mixed lettuce leaves.
NUTRITION per serving
calories 459 | cabs 86.8g | fat 9.1g | protein 14.1g