A quick and easy red lentil curry that is cosy, hearty and flavoursome.
The weather is slowly changing and soon winter will be upon us. To celebrate the cold winter weather I have created a soul warming, creamy red lentil curry that is delicious and super creamy thanks to the full fat coconut milk and the soft red lentils. This dish is perfect served over warm rice or steamed sweet potatoes.
Creamy red lentil curry
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
1 medium onion, roughly chop
1T/ 15ml oil
1 cup/ 250ml chopped tomatoes
1t/ 5ml ginger powder
1t/ 5ml garlic powder
1t/ 5ml curry powder
½ t/ 2.5ml cayenne pepper
½ t/ 2.5ml smoked paprika
1 vegetable stock cube
1½ cups/ 375ml red lentils, rinsed under running water
3-4 cups water
1x400ml can full fat coconut milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium pot, heat oil, add in onion and sauté the onion until translucent.
2. Add in tomatoes and spices and sauté for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Crumble in stock cube and give everything a good mix around.
3. Add the lentils to the pot and pour in water and coconut milk, stir to combine.
4. Bring the lentil curry to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Allow the lentils to cook until soft and tender. Make sure to stir the curry occasionally for even cooking.
5. Serve the curry with rice or sweet potato.
NUTRITION per Serving
calories 478 | cabs 53.0g | fat 23.3g | protein 19.8g