Milk tart is a dessert loved by many South Africans. No wonder there are so many recipes and variations of this classic tart. To add to the numerous delicious recipes I have, created a crustless tart, thickened with semolina and generously dusted with cinnamon.
A few year back A friend and I created a tasty maize meal milk tart. So, this got me thinking... Why not create a tasty semolina tart that would double up as a dessert and breakfast. I mean who wouldn't want dessert for breakfast and breakfast for dessert?
This milk tart is a real winner. It is creamy, thick, rich and sweet; with a healthy dusting of cinnamon. This is for all my tart lovers who are looking for something easy and tasty to satisfy their tart cravings.
Crustless Semolina Milk Tart
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
2 cups/ 500ml soya milk or any milk of choice
1 cinnamon stick
¼ cup/ 60ml ground semolina
2 large eggs
3T/ 45ml brown sugar or sweetener of choice
1t/ 5ml vanilla essence
2T/ 30ml vegan butter or margarine
A pinch of salt
Cinnamon powder for dusting
1. Grease 4 ramekins and set aside to use later.
2. Bring milk, cinnamon stick and semolina to a gentle boil.
3. Beat eggs and sugar together.
4. Remove milk mixture from the heat, add in 1 large spoonful of the milk mixture to the egg mixture and whisk vigorously.
5. Pour in the egg mixture into the milk mixture and mix well.
6. Return the pot to the heat and cook for 15 minutes on a low heat.
7. Add in vanilla, butter and salt. Mix well and pour the mixture into the prepared ramekins.
8. Allow to cool at room temperature before placing in the refrigerator to set.
9. To decorate dust with some cinnamon and enjoy.
NUTRITION per Serving
calories 181 | cabs 19g | fat 9g | protein 5g