All the flavours of a hot cross bun, mixed into a no fuss grain free muffin. These muffins are the ultimate Easter cheat treat and will make you more popular than the Easter Bunny!
This is my take on a” hot cross bun” that is quick and easy to make. These muffins are so delicious and are perfect to serve at an Easter brunch.
There is nothing better than waking up on Easter morning to the aroma of freshly baked hot cross buns.
I really hope you take the time to try this easy but tasty recipe. I promise you, your family and friends will be begging you to make these muffins every year during Easter.
Happy Easter, everyone!
Grain Free Hot Cross Muffins
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
1 cup/ 250ml apple sauce
1 t/ 5ml vanilla essence
¼ cup/ 60ml soya milk or milk or choice
¼ cup/ 60ml vegan butter or normal butter (melted)
½ cup/ 125ml coconut flour
2T/ 30ml rice flour
2t/ 10ml ground cinnamon
1t/ 5ml ground ginger
½ t/ 2.5ml ground nutmeg
1t/ 5ml baking powder
½ t/ 2.5ml bicarbonate soda
2-4 T/ 30-60ml granulated sweetener of choice
Pinch of salt
½ cup/ 125ml raisins
80g vegan butter or normal butter (soft)
80g icing sugar (sifted)
1 t/ 5ml lemon juice
1t/ 5ml vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut out 12cm x 12cm grease proof paper to create 12 paper muffin cups.
2. In a large mixing bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients. Pour in the remaining dry ingredients and whisk until well incorporated.
3. Press down grease proof paper into the muffin tin and evenly divide the batter between the 12 muffin holes. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
4. Let the muffins completely cool.
5. Meanwhile whisk together vegan butter, icing sugar, lemon juice and vanilla essence. Place the icing into a piping bag and small hole.
6. Once the muffins have cooled, pipe a cross onto each muffin and set aside for the icing to set.
7. Then serve with a cup of tea or coffee.
NUTRITION per muffin with icing
calories 234 | cabs 18.9g | fat 15.7g | protein 5.5g