Moist, simple and so versatile, these unique savoury muffins make for the perfect snack or a flavoursome savoury breakfast. Filled with wholesome ingredients, surprisingly these muffins can be made to be vegan or gluten free.
Healthy Savoury Muffins
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Makes: 9 muffins
½ cup/ 125ml yellow maize meal
2 cups/ 500ml boiling water
2 cups/ 500ml oats flour (finely ground oats)
2T/ 15ml corn flour
1t/ coconut sugar or brown sugar
2t/ 10ml baking powder
1t/ 5ml bicarbonate soda
½ t/ 2.5ml salt
¼ t/ 1.25ml black pepper
¼ t/ 1.25ml smoked paprika
¼ t/ 1.25ml turmeric powder
1t/ 5ml mixed herbs
1t/ 5ml garlic powder
2 large eggs or flax eggs
¼ cup/ 60ml canola oil or melted coconut oil
1t/ 5ml apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 9 muffins hole with oil or spray and cook.
2. In a small bowl whisk together maize meal and boiling water. Allow this mixture to completely cool.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients together. Give everything a good mix and set aside.
4. To the cool maize mixture whisk in eggs, oil and vinegar.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and thoroughly mix everything together. The batter is quite stiff, thicker than sweet muffin batter.
6. Evenly divide the muffin batter amongst the prepared muffin holes. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
7. Let the muffins cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan and eating.
8. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
To make the muffins vegan: combine 2T/ 30ml ground flaxseeds and 6T/ 90ml water, whisk the ingredients together. Allow the flaxseeds to gel-up, this is called a flax egg and will replace the eggs in the recipe.
To make the muffins gluten free: Buy certified gluten free oats flour or grind up certified gluten free oats.
NUTRITION per Serving
calories 201 | cabs 24.5g | fat 9.4g | protein 4.8g