Tangy, creamy and refreshing, these lemon squares truly taste like a ray of sunshine. Besides being super healthy they are also vegan. These squares can be enjoyed as a refreshing snack or as a tart dessert.
Spring is almost upon us and it is time to clear the pantry, cupboards and refrigerator of all the winter goodies. If you are like me and bulk up on citrus fruits in winter, then you must have a load of lemons lying around. Why not use some of them in this healthy and tasty lemon coconut squares. I promise, you will not be disappointed.
Lemon coconut squares
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
¼ cup/ 60ml oats flour
¼ cup/ 60ml self-raising flour
3T/ 45ml granulated sweetener of choice
Zest of ½ a lemon
2T/ 30ml desiccated coconut
A pinch of salt
2T/ 30ml solid coconut oil or vegan butter
200ml full fat coconut milk
2T/ 60ml corn flour
Zest of ½ lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup + 1T/ 75ml sweetener of choice
A pinch of salt and a pinch of turmeric
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a small loaf pan and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl combine crust ingredients, use your finger tips or a pastry cutter to combine the ingredients until a crumbly texture is formed.
3. Press the crust into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
4. In a blender combine all filling ingredients, blend to integrate. Pour into a small pot and cook until a thick custard consistency is formed.
5. Pour over the slightly cooled crust and return to the oven for 8-10 minutes.
6. Allow to cool completely before slicing and sprinkling with desiccated coconut.
NUTRITION per lemon square
calories 156 | cabs 6.3g | fat 10g | protein 1.6g
*Nutrition calculated using brown sugar and coconut oil