Meat free pies that are full of flavour and will surely satisfy you on those chilly nights when you need some comfort food.
Whilst searching for some spices in my kitchen cupboard, to my surprise I found a can of brown lentils that I bought at the beginning of winter. Time has a way of flying by, I can't believe that it is almost spring. To savour the last moments of winter, I just had to make a meaty flavoured pie without the meat of course. These scrumptious pies freeze well, so you might as well make a big batch and always have a pie waiting for you in the freezer.
Lentil and mushroom pie
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1t/ 5 ml fresh ginger, grated
2t/ 10ml fresh garlic, crushed
1 large carrot, finely chopped
10 mushrooms, finely chopped
1 vegetable stock cube
½ t/ 2.5ml smoked paprika
Salt and black pepper to taste
1T/ 15ml soya sauce
2t/ 10ml fresh thyme
1x400g tin brown lentils, drained and rinsed
1t/ 5ml corn flour
¼ cup/ 60ml frozen peas
1x400g puff pastry, thawed
1. In a large pot add a few tablespoons of water and onion, cook for 2 minutes until translucent. Then add in ginger and garlic, cook for a further minute, adding in water to deglaze the pan.
2. Add in carrot, mushrooms, stock cube, pepper, soya sauce and thyme. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the carrots are tender.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C and lightly grease a muffin pan. Set aside.
4. Mix the corn flour together with a ¼ cup of water until there are no lumps of flour. Add this to the vegetables together with the lentils. Stir well and season with salt and pepper.
5. Cut out pastry circles for each muffin hole. Press down the pastry in the prepared muffin pan. Divide the lentil and mushroom filling between the 12 muffin holes. Cut out shapes from the remaining pastry. Carefully place the pastry shapes on top of each muffin hole to create a lid. Brush the top with egg or unsweetened plant milk.
6. Bake the pies for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve the pies warm.
Serve these delish pies with a fresh and crunchy side salad or warm steamed veggies.
NUTRITION per lentil and mushroom pie:
calories 220 | carbs 21.3g | fat 13.2g | protein 4.9g