This is a mildly sweet vegan cake that is fragrant and moist, which is flavoured with freshly squeezed orange juice and zest. This tender orange cake is perfect as is, but for that WOW factor decorate the cake with freshly cut oranges, this will secretly keep the cake soft and moist.
Who doesn't like a slice of freshly baked cake? Even if you are eating healthy you can still have your cake and eat it, without feeling guilty. Oranges are a flavoursome fruit, which are perfect for baking. As winter is nearing its end, oranges are at their peak. They are sweet, juicy and vibrant in colour. So this is the perfect time to bake yourself an orange cake.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
1/3 cup/ 80ml brown sugar
½ cup/ 125ml soya yoghurt or any other yoghurt of choice
Zest of 1 orange
Juice of ½ orange
¼ cup/ 60ml canola oil
¾ cup/ 180ml soya milk or milk of choice
1 cup/ 200g fine semolina
¾ cup/ 180ml whole wheat flour
1t/ 5ml baking powder
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C. Lightly grease a small cake pan and line with baking paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the following ingredients: sugar, yoghurt, orange zest & juice, oil and milk. Whisk together until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Add in the remaining ingredients, mix together until well combined, then pour into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
4. Immediately once the cake comes out of the oven, squeeze over the juice from the other half of the orange.
5. Allow the cake to completely cool before serving.
NUTRITION per slice of orange cake
calories 189 | cabs 28.4g | fat 6.5g | protein 4.9g
*Nutrition calculated using soya milk and yoghurt