The tea party continues with an oats ice cream that is infused with Five Roses peach and apricot tea. This ice cream is creamy and delicious, but still healthy.
This ice cream is a game changer, a sweet creamy dessert that can also double up as a snack or a naughty breakfast. I am so pleased with how it turned out and my family devoured this ice cream. That is how I can tell that I have created a killer recipe.
You would never be able to tell that there is oats in the ice cream. Why did I use Oats? When you cook oats it becomes super creamy and thick and this is the base for the ice cream, I call this base an oats custard. To this oats custard I add most of my ingredients except my dried fruits and cream. I chill the custard in the refrigerator and this is the secret to this amazing ice cream. Before churning the ice cream, mix in some cream and dried fruit and your halfway to heaven.
What I love about this vegan ice cream is that it is extremely easy to make and all the ingredients are easily accessible. I could never really be bothered to make cashew ice cream, it’s too expensive and time consuming. Banana ice cream or best known as nice cream is absolutely delicious, but some days I honestly don’t care for an intense banana scent in my ice cream. This ice cream definitely has a few steps to making it but all the ingredients are affordable except xylitol. However, you could always replace the xylitol with honey, rice syrup, stevia, coconut sugar or brown sugar.
The intense but not overwhelming peach and apricot flavour is mostly imparted from Five Roses peach & apricot tea, the other small percentage comes from the dried fruits. The peach & apricot tea is my favourite out of all the infusion teas. It has this beautiful aroma of peaches and apricot, that reminds me of a gorgeous summer’s day. So, I found it fitting to use this infusion tea to make a summer dessert, but of course you could enjoy this dessert any time of the year.
Peach And Apricot Oats Ice cream
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 5-8 minutes
½ cup/ 125ml boiling water
3 Five Roses peach and apricot tea bags
2½ cups/ 750ml soya milk or milk of choice
1 cup/ 250ml oats
¼ cup/ 60ml xylitol or sweetener of choice
Pinch of salt
1 cup/ 250ml soya cream or coconut cream
½ cup/ 125ml chopped dried fruit (I used apricots, peaches, raisins and apples)
1. Infuse tea bags in boiling water and set aside.
2. To a blender add oats and milk and blend for 1 minute until smooth and creamy.
3. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the oats mixture into a pot. Cook the oats mixture for 5-8 minutes until thick and creamy.
4. Remove the pot from the heat, whisk in xylitol, salt and tea. Transfer mixture into a bowl and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes until the mixture has completely cooled.
5. After 60 minutes remove oats mixture from the refrigerator, the mixture should resemble a thick custard.
6. Whip cream until soft peaks form, fold cream into the oats mixture and pour into an ice cream machine. Churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions until a soft serve consistency. This will take about 40-50 minutes.
7.When 5 minutes are remaining on the machine add in dried fruits.
8. Transfer the ice cream into a shallow freeze proof container and freeze for 3 hours or overnight.
9. Scoop into bowls and enjoy.