These potato and spinach cakes are perfect to make when you have some leftover mashed potatoes. They make for a great side dish or a delicious light lunch or dinner.
I love the combination of potato and spinach, but if you have other veggies laying around needing to be used up you can definitely add them in. The flavour combinations are endless with this recipe. I sometimes change it up and use kale, broccoli, peas or green beans.
This recipe is so easy and uses few ingredients. Just make sure to season your potatoes really well before forming the patties.
You can easily make this recipe vegan by mixing a few tablespoons of all-purpose flour with a few tablespoons of water to form a thick paste. Dip the potato cakes into the flour paste and then into the bread crumbs before frying. You could even leave off the bread crumbs and fry as is. So many tasty ways to change up this recipe to make it work for you.
Potato and spinach cakes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes
250g boiled potatoes
1/2 cup/ 125ml cooked spinach
1/2 cup/ 125ml caramelised onions
Salt and pepper to taste
1 t/ 5ml mixed dry herbs
1 cup/ 250ml bread crumbs
Canola oil, for frying
1. Mash potatoes and add in the remaining ingredients.
2. Shape into potato cakes and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. To crumb the potato cakes crack 1 egg in a bowl and whisk lightly. Add 1 cup of breadcrumbs in to another bowl. Dip the potato cakes into the egg and then coat the potato cakes in the bread crumbs.
4. Refrigerate for another 30 minutes, before frying in a little oil for about five minutes on each side.
5. Server the potato cakes with salad and a few tablespoons of hummus.
NUTRITION per Serving
calories 184 | cabs 26.3g | fat 6.7g | protein 6g