These cookies are the perfect breakfast cookies. They don't have any refined flour, sugar or oil. However, they still taste like soft, chewy and sweet cookies.
The inspiration for these breakfast cookies came from the popular 3-ingredient banana oats cookies recipe. If you don't know what I am talking about here is a link to a popular recipe: 3-ingredient breakfast cookies.
All you need for these cookies is 5 ingredients: oats, banana, baking powder as well as salt. The trail mix and peanut butter is totally optional, but it gives a fun variation to a simple recipe.
Feel free to use nuts, dried fruit or chocolate chips instead of peanut butter or trail mix. You could also add in some additional flavouring such as ground cinnamon or vanilla essence.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 16 cookies
1 cup/250ml oats
2 ripe medium bananas, mashed
½ t/ 2.5ml baking powder
Pinch of salt
50g breakfast trail mix
¼ cup/ 60ml peanut butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine oats, baking powder, salt and trail mix. Stir together before adding in mashed bananas. Mix together until well incorporated.
3. Scoop out tablespoonfuls of the mixture and shape into cookies. Place the cookies on the prepared baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes.
4. Until golden brown around the edges. Transfer the cookies on to a cooling rack and allow to completely cool.
5. Once the cookies are cooled, sandwich the cookies with 1 t/5ml of peanut butter and enjoy.
Why not try…
Adding in some optional flavourings such 1 t/5ml vanilla essence or ground cinnamon.
NUTRITION per Sandwich cookie
calories 112 | cabs 16.9g | fat 5.7g | protein 4.4g