Updated: Feb 23, 2021
Thank you to Fauxmage for sending me a hamper of their dairy-free cheeses and butter. These are the products that I will be using in three of my blog posts.
So, the first recipe I wanted to create with my hamper was a red-hot chilli savoury veggie muffins. These savoury veggie muffins are bursting with flavor, they are filling and packed with plant-based protein. The perfect way to sneak in some veggies into your day.
I love Fauxmage dairy-free red-hot chilli chevre-style cashew cheese. It is creamy, salty with hints of spicy warm chilli. This cheese pairs well with these savoury earthy veggie muffins.
The main ingredient for these muffins besides the veggies, is chickpea flour also known as gram flour. This flour gives the muffins a quiche like texture without sacrificing the light fluffiness of a muffin. You would never know that they are gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free.
The flavor of these muffins... Oh my goodness, there is plenty of that, thanks to the cheese. The cheese definitely steals the show, by adding in spice, creaminess and saltness throughout the muffins. It is just the right amount of flavor that these muffins need.
I like to spread a generous layer of cheese over my muffins when I am serving them. This is totally optional, but So yummy! You can enjoy these muffins for breakfast, lunch or as a delicious snack.
Savoury veggie muffins
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
110g Garbanzo bean flour
1T/ 15ml nutritional yeast
½ t/ 2.5ml baking powder
½ t/ 2.5ml dried mixed herbs
½ t/ 2.5ml onion & garlic powder mix
¼ t /1.25ml ground black pepper
1t/ 5ml salt
¼ t/ 0.25ml ground turmeric
½ cup/ 125ml unsweetened almond milk
200g Stir fry veggies, finely chopped
90g Fauxmage red-hot chili chevre cheese, cut into bite size pieces
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease muffin pan very well!
2. In a large mix bowl combine flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, herbs, spices and salt. Mix the dry ingredients together.
3. Pour in the milk and whisk until a smooth batter forms. Fold in veggies and cheese, until they are evenly distributed.
4. Pour in a ¼ cup/ 60ml of the batter into the muffin pan wholes. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before transferring each muffin to a cooling rack.
6. Serve with more cheese or as desired.
NUTRITION per Muffin
calories 104 | cabs 12g | fat 4g | protein 5g