This split peas soup served with broccoli and cauliflower rice is the easiest and the least fussiest meal you will ever make.
I love split peas soup, but sometimes I just need a little bit something extra to take the soup from normal to exciting. Adding in loads of veggies and spice does the trick. The ultimate game changer in this soup has to be the rice, the combination of the two is just perfect.
Split peas served with veggie rice
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Split pea soup
1 cup/ 250ml split peas
4 medium potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
2 vegetable stock cubes
½ t/2.5ml cayenne pepper
4 cups/ 1000ml water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large head of cauliflower
1 large head of broccoli
1. Soak split peas in cold water overnight.
2. In a large pot combine all the soup ingredients. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables and the peas are tender. Blend or mash your soup to your desired consistency.
3. To prepare the veggie rice, coarsely grate the vegetables florets. Place the grated rice in a dish cloth to squeeze out any moisture.
4. Cook the dried vegetable rice in a non-stick pan, on a medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Season the rice with salt and pepper, cover the rice so it cooks quickly and evenly.
5. Serve the rice with the warm split pea soup and garnish with chilli flakes or freshly chopped red chili.
NUTRITION per serving
calories 425 | cabs 85.3g | fat 2.2g | protein 24.1g