On a cold winter afternoon, bake these spicy and delicious cookies, to enjoy with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
An easy recipe for healthy, soft and chewy ginger cookies. These cookies are vegan, kid friendly and use affordable ingredients. So delicious and spicy these cookies might become your favourite winter cookie.
Let's address the elephant in the room, the sweet potato. I promise, that you will not be able to taste the sweet veg, it is purely there for texture and for some add nutritional boost. This is a great way to sneak in veggies into your kid's diet and your own.
Sweet Potato Ginger Cookies
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
Makes: 31 Ingredients
1t/ 5ml bicarbonate soda
2t/10ml almond milk or milk of choice
1/3 cup/ 80ml dark muscovado sugar
125g vegan butter or margarine
2T/ 30ml golden syrup or honey
1t/ 5ml vanilla essence
1/3 cup/ 80ml pureed sweet potato
2 cups/ 500ml whole wheat flour
2T/ 30ml coconut flour
1½ t/ 7.5ml cream of tartar
3t/ 15ml ground ginger
Pinch of salt
1. In a small bowl dissolve bicarbonate soda in milk and set aside to be used later.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine sugar, butter, syrup, vanilla and sweet potato. Using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon beat the mixture together until smooth and creamy.
3. To the creamed mixture add in the rest of the ingredients, including the bicarbonate mixture. Using your hands to mix everything together and form a soft dough.
4. Rest the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. On a floured surface roll out the chilled dough to about 2 cm thick, using a cookie cutter, cut out shapes (I used a round cookie cutter), place cut out shapes onto the prepared baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes.
6. Allow the cookies to completely cool before serving.
-The size and shape of your cookie cutter will determine the amount of cookies you will get out.
-Place cookies in an airtight container, they will last up to 1 week in the fridge or 1-2 day on the counter top.
NUTRITION per Cookie
calories 66 | cabs 8.9g | fat 3.2g | protein 1.1g