What would an ice cream festival be without a rich and decadent chocolate cake? This cake is vegan, made from nourishing ingredients and is everything you would want in a dark rich chocolate cake.
The first time I tasted Virtue Chocolate Mousse Ice Cream, it literally made my week. I had not felt so happy and excited to have a tub of ice cream in my fridge in a while. Since it can be a bit tricky finding a good quality vegan ice cream.
If you have not had the pleasure of tasting this ice cream, first and foremost I would like to say you are missing out. This ice cream has a deep chocolate flavour, that just makes the ice cream melt in your mouth. It is also super creamy, rich and thick all the decadence you want from an ice cream.
I have tried out a few vegan chocolate cakes, but they weren’t as moist and chocolaty enough for my taste. So when I got an opportunity to collaborate with this amazing brand, I thought it would be the perfect time to experiment and come up with my own recipe for a scrumptious, perfectly moist vegan chocolate cake recipe.
The frosting is a deep rich chocolate icing, which reminds me of chocolate mousse. This is fitting as the ice cream I used is Chocolate Mousse ice cream. I recommend using a good quality dark chocolate to make the frosting, I have seen if you use a lower grade chocolate it will alter the texture and taste of the frosting.
I love to serve this cake with some fresh fruit (That is the healthier me!), but if you are feeling extra, Like I am on most days, serve this cake with a big old scoop of chocolate ice cream and call it a day.
If you are a chocolate lover or not give this cake a try. Once you have chocolate there is no going back… So, let the baking begin!
Triple Chocolate Vegan Cake
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
1½/ 375ml whole wheat flour
¼ cup/ 60ml unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ cup/ 180ml coconut sugar
1t/ 5ml baking powder
¼ t/ 1.25ml bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup/ 80ml canola oil
1t/ 5ml vanilla essence
1t/ 5ml granulated coffee
1 cup/ 250ml hot Virtue chocolate mousse ice cream
½ cup/ 125ml boiling water
1T/ 15ml apple cider vinegar
½ cup/ 125ml apple sauce
For chocolate frosting
½ cup/125ml Virtue chocolate mousse ice cream (melted and cooled)
2T/ 30ml unsweetened cocoa powder
50g dark chocolate (melted)
1t/ 5ml vanilla essence
¼ cup/ 60ml hot almond milk or milk of choice
50g dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease two small round cake pans with canola oil and dust with cocoa powder, shake out the excess cocoa powder and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate and salt. Set aside as we work on the wet ingredients.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together oil, vanilla, coffee, ice cream, water as well as apple cider vinegar and apple sauce.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated but don’t over mix.
5. Divide the cake batter evenly between your prepared cake pans, bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
6. To make the frosting whisk together all the frosting ingredients until smooth and creamy.
7. Once the cake is cooled, frost generously with the chocolate frosting, adding a thick layer between the two cakes. Top with berries and more chocolate.
8. Serve with a scoop of Virtue Chocolate Mousse Ice Cream or with a cup of tea or coffee.
NUTRITION per Serving
calories 309 | cabs 47g | fat 13g | protein 5g