These cupcakes taste amazing, you will not even be able to tell that they are vegan. They are super quick and easy to make. You can even play around with different types of milk, oil and flavouring substitutes. Most substitutes will work well for these cupcakes. A cupcake will not be a cupcake without a delicious frosting. I love simple but tasty frosting like my lemon vanilla frosting. This frosting pairs well with these cupcakes but a plain vanilla frosting or chocolate orange frosting will be yummy too.
This vanilla cupcake recipe has become my new obsession. I love making and sharing this recipe with my friends and family. Now, I thought it was time to share it with my extended family (which is all of you). I finally have perfected this recipe, these cupcakes are fluffy, soft, buttery, sweet as well as packed with vanilla lemon flavour. Who says that you need eggs, milk or butter to make scrumptiously delicious cupcakes?
So, what inspired me to get into the kitchen and start making vanilla vegan cupcakes? A photoshoot! A few weeks back I was part of a collaboration with amazing hairstylists (hair stylist 2), african hair product creator, photography, videography, furniture designer, makeup & nail artist, earring designer as well as a clothing boutique & accessory store, chef and food blogger. We all came together to create a beautiful shoot, which showcases each person's talents and careers. I loved being part of the shoot and the collaboration, as well as creating this yummy recipe for all to enjoy.
VANILLA VEGAN CUPCAKES
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
2T/ 30ml ground flax seeds
1/3 cup/ 80ml hot water
1T/ 15ml lemon juice
120ml unsweetened soya milk or non-dairy milk of choice
1t/5ml vanilla essence
Zest of ½ lemon
120g self-rising flour
30g cake flour
100g vegan butter
¾ cup/180ml granulated sugar
80g vegan butter
200g icing sugar
1t/5ml vanilla essence
Zest and juice of ½ lemon
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line muffin pan with paper liner.
2. Mix together ground flax seeds and hot water. Let it stand and thicken for a few minutes.
3. In a small mixing bowl combine lemon juice, milk and vanilla. Set aside.
4. In a medium mixing bowl combine lemon zest and flours. Set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar. You can use a wooden spoon or a hand mixer to do this.
6. Add in flax eggs aka flax paste to the creamed mixture, mix together until flax eggs are well combined.
7. Add in ½ of the flour mixture, mix until just combined, and then add in ½ of the milk mixture, mix again until just combined. Repeat this until the flour and milk mixture is finished.
8. Evenly divide the batter between the muffin holes and bake for 15-20 minutes, until cupcakes are golden brown. Allow cupcakes to cool.
9. Meanwhile prepare icing. Mix together icing ingredients until smooth and creamy. Use more icing sugar to make the icing sweeter or less icing sugar to make the icing less sweet.
10. Spoon the icing into a piping bag, pipe icing onto the cupcakes and decorated with sprinkles before enjoying.
NUTRITION per Cupcake with frosting
calories 188 | cabs 32g | fat 6g | protein 2g