I have made vegan chicken mayo sandwiches many times before. I used chickpeas as my "chicken" and the sandwitches would taste absolutely amazing. The only problem I would have with the chickpea filling is that, it would not taste realistic like I was having chicken. Not to fear, I have found the solution, my non-meat eating friends.
So, a few months ago I discovered that soya mince comes in two different colours, light brown and dark brown. The light brown soya resembles coarsely minced chicken, whilst the dark brown one resembles ground beef. If you have ever tasted soya mince, it has a chewy-meaty-like texture.
So this got me thinking, why not use the light soya mince as my chicken filling for my sandwiches. I have got to say this is the most realistic tasting vegan chicken mayo sandwich I have tasted so far. I hope you all give it a try.
Vegan chicken mayo sandwich
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Handful of light dry soya mince
½ vegetable stock cube
5 cherry tomatoes
¼ red onion
¼ green pepper
2T/ 30ml light or vegan mayo
½ t dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
10 Baby spinach leaves
2 slices of whole wheat bread or any healthy bread of choice
1. In a small bowl combine mince, stock cube and boiling water. Pour enough water to just cover the mince. Leave the mince to sit for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, finely chop tomatoes, onion and green pepper and pour into a bowl and set aside.
· After 5 minutes the soya mince would have absorbed all the water and would resemble minced chicken.
3. In a frying pan heat a few tablespoons of water. Pour in the mince and fry for 5 minutes until the water has completely evaporated. Set the cooked mince to the side to completely cool.
4. Time to assemble the sandwich, combine cooled mince, vegetables, mayo, thyme and salt. As well as the pepper. Mix all the ingredients well until all the ingredients are coated in the mayo.
5. On one slice of bread place spinach and top with the “chicken” mayo mix. Place the second slice of bread on top, cut into your desired shape and enjoy.