This vegan quiche is packed with veggies and has a delicious savoury pie crust, it is completely egg free, dairy free and tofu free. This quiche makes for the perfect easy breakfast, lunch, brunch or snack.
Lately I have been obsessed with vegan foods and recipes. I am sure you can tell from my recent posts.
To continue on with my obsession, I have created this easy but really yummy and tasty vegan quiche. Which is made from chickpea flour, so it is really high in protein. I packed this quiche full of veggies but you are not limited to the veggies that I have used, you can use any veggie your heart desires.
I honestly feel that this quiche is a complete meal but feel free to serve it with a salad, more veggies or as a side dish.
I have eaten this quiche everyday for the past week or so. It keeps well in the fridge for a week to a week and a half. So it is definitely great to make ahead for meal prep.
As always if you decide to give this recipe a try please tag me on Instagram or Facebook, I would really love to see your recreations.
Vegan veggie quiche
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
For the crust:
1 cup/ 250ml whole wheat flour
1t/5ml baking powder
½ t/ 2.5ml salt
Pinch of paprika
½ t/ dried mixed herbs
½ flax egg (½ T/7.5ml ground flax seeds and 1½ T water)
70g vegan butter
2T/30ml cold water
For the filling:
1½ cup/ 375ml chickpea flour
1 cup/ 250ml water
½ cup/ 125ml soya cream
1T/ 15ml oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1t/5ml dried mixed herbs
½ t/ 2.5ml paprika
2T/30ml nutritional yeast
1t/ 5ml garlic powder
1t/ 5ml onion powder
½ t/ 2.5ml turmeric powder
½ t/ 2.5ml ground cumin
1t/5ml baking powder
1 green pepper, roughly chopped
1 large tomato, sliced
½ cup/ 125ml green onion, roughly chopped
½ red onion, roughly chopped
250g mushrooms, sliced
1. Start off by transferring all the ingredients for the crust into a food processor and blend until the dough clumps together. If you don’t have a food processor, add all the crust ingredients into a large mixing bowl and use your hands to knead the dough until it clumps together. If dough seems too dry add in a tiny bit of cold water, a spoonful at a time.
2. Chill the dough in the fridge for 1 hour, lightly grease a 1L pie pan, then press the chilled dough into the prepared pie pan and put back into the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. While waiting for the dough to chill. Whisk together, chickpea flour, water, cream, oil, herbs and spices as well as baking powder. Mix in the chopped veggies except the tomato. Preheat the oven to 200°C and blind bake the crust for 10 minutes.
4. Now pour the chickpea veggie batter over the baked crust and place the slices of tomato on top. Then bake at 180°C for 35-45 minutes
5. It’s best to let the quiche cool completely before serving to allow it to set. Serve the quiche warm or cold with a side of veggies or salad. Enjoy!
How to blind bake: Line the chilled pie crust with baking paper. Fill with beans or pie weights. Make sure that the weight is evenly distributed around the pie dish and bake. Remove the baking paper and the weights or beans before filling with the pie filling.
NUTRITION per Serving
calories 262 | cabs 27.3g | fat 13.9g | protein 10g