South Africans truly enjoy their braai (barbecue) even in winter, and I am no different. So, light up the braai, bring out the potjie pots and cosy up to some warm, delicious and spicy vegetable potjiekos.
Potjiekos is an Afrikaans word that is directly translated in English to "small pot food", Potjiekos is traditionally cooked outside on a fire. The food is prepared in a round, three leg cast iron pot. Please note I did not use a three leg cast iron pot. For the life of me I don't know where my family placed it. Not to fear I used a flat cast iron pot which works just as well.
This vegetable potjie or stew can easily serves a large family or large gathering of people. It is extremely easy to prepare, it is full of flavour and will serve an array of dietary requirements. I would suggest that you serve the potjie warm with some rice, pap (cooked maize) or whole wheat couscous.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
2T/ 30ml canola oil
4 medium onions (cut into wedges)
1t/ 5ml finely grated ginger
5 medium carrots (peeled and quartered)
1 chili finely chopped (optional)
2T/ 30ml tomato pasta
1t/ 5ml smoked paprika
1t/ 5ml garlic powder
1t/ 5ml onion powder
Salt and black pepper to taste
½t / 2.5ml ground cumin
1t/ 5ml mixed herbs
8 medium potatoes (peeled and quartered)
2 vegetable stock cubes
6 cups/1.5L water
1kg frozen broccoli, cauliflower and green beans
1. Prepare your fire.
2. In a potjie pot on your prepared fire, heat oil and stir in onion, ginger and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
3. Add in chili, tomato pasta, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, salt, cumin and mixed herbs. Cook for 1 minute until the aromas of the spices are realised.
4. Add in potatoes, vegetables stock cubes and water. Cover and cook for 40-45 minutes until vegetables are tender.
5. Add in frozen vegetables, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Give all the vegetables a good stir before removing from the fire.
6. Garnish with fresh thyme and serve with couscous, rice or pasta.
You can use any vegetable your heart desires in the vegetable potjie. Such as zucchini, sweet potato, butternut and cabbage.