Everyone loves lasagna, but adding in tons of veggies makes this dish hearty and filling without loads of calories. This simple dish is classy enough to WOW your loved one without too much effort.
This vegetable lasagna is a hearty, comforting meal that is perfect for a special Valentine's day dinner. All it needs is a good glass of red wine and a side of a crunchy zesty salad.
You don't need to spend big bucks on an expensive restaurant dinner when you can make a tasty and delicious dinner at home. This lasagna could easily feed a family but why not take the time to spoil your Valentine, he/she is definitely worth it.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
200g steamed green beans, roughly chopped
450g potatoes, boiled
Tomato “meat” sauce
1T/ 15ml canola or olive oil
2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
250g mushrooms, sliced
½ small green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 x 410g tin tomatoes with juice, mashed
1t/ 5 ml dried mixed herbs
400g soya mince, hydrated
Salt and pepper to taste
1T/ 15ml vegan margarine
2 cups/ 500ml almond milk or milk of choice
1½T/ 22.5ml all-purpose flour
¼ cup/ 60ml nutritional yeast
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. For the tomato “meat” sauce, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms and green pepper and cook for a further 3 minutes. Add the mince, tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
3. For the cheese sauce, melt the margarine in a saucepan, and stir in the milk.
4. In a 750 ml (3 cups) glass bowl or jug, mix the flour with 45 ml (3 T) water to a smooth paste. Remove the hot milk from the heat and gradually add the milk, to the flour paste, stirring after each addition until smooth. Pour the sauce back into the saucepan.
5. Return to the heat and stir until sauce is smooth and thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in nutritional yeast, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
6. To assemble, slice potatoes and layer at the bottom of your lasagne dish. Pour half the tomato “meat” sauce over the potatoes. Spread half of the cheese sauce over the tomato “meat” sauce layer. Cover with a layer of green beans. Top with the remaining tomato “meat" sauce and finish with the remaining cheese sauce.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 ̊C for 30 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
NUTRITION per Serving
calories 260 | cabs 23g | fat 7g | protein 16g